Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Charm of Anne Shirley



     You have only to mention her name, and if that person has ever read or watched any Anne Shirley book/movie, the reaction will be a starry gaze, a breathy "oh Anne Shirley!" and a complete review of each and every book/movie they've come in contact with. (Barring the horrible third Anne movie). 
What is so appealing, so attracting with Anne Shirley? Allow me to expound.:)


  "There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."-Anne of Green Gables.
 That's part of the charm! Anne is so full of different sides, that you a always kept on your toes, and interested. If she was a "regular" heroine, and remained in just one mold, (to use some of Anne's descriptions,  beautiful, raven black hair, or blonde, or brown, alabaster brow, violet eyes, ect), she would have been just the
"main girl", and not much more, But instead, she's red-headed, has freckles, a very nice nose, grey eyes, a temper, a day-dreamer, a scholar, a "kindred spirit"... She's not your average heroine to be sure.

  And she's normal. In fact, she's an an average girl; she bakes cakes, wishes for a bosom friend, loves pretty dresses, and has her dreams. She's a living, pulsing, vibrating girl, and not a plain black-and white character. We can relate to her, feel for her in her moments of anguish and embarrassment, soar with her over her triumphs-in fact, that's probably the first and foremost reason we love her so much!

    "She makes me love her and I like people who make me love them. It saves me so much trouble making myself love them."-Anne of Green Gables

 And she makes us love her without even half trying.:) To me, these are the top few reasons for why I adore reading Anne's books; there are probably more if I thought on them longer, but I won't tire you out. And I wasn't even meaning to write this, it's just the fact I was listening to the soundtrack music, and you know how that goes. If you've never read any of the Anne books, I hope this inspires you to, and if you're a long-time friend of the Avonlea folks, leave me comments and let me know what it is that makes you love Anne Shirley so much!


                       



No comments:

Post a Comment